Hi Community, in this small guide I will show you how to install Windows Server 2012 in a Hyper-V VM. This Server will be my first Domain Controller, so the VM is not so big sized.  

1. Pass the Post-Process and boot the Installation DVD or ISO. Download Trial Version

2. The first Screen you will see after Booting the DVD is the "localisation screen" I normaly install my Servers with english language pack and set Time and Keyboard Layout to german but thats why I'm located in germany.   

3. When you set all Localisations you need, klick on "next".

4. After this you get the Screen where you can enter the installation interface or the repair interface. Please klick here "Install now".   

5. After this you will ask after your productkey.   

The productkey should be located on the lower left (when the HDs are in front of you) corner of your server.

6.  After you entered your productkey you can klick "next" to select the type of GUI you want to use.

Maybe some best practice from my site in this case. Install your first server and your management server with GUI all other only as core. When you are not familiare with serverconfiguration on a core server, you can also install with GUI and than change back to core version via PowerShell Command.  

7. After you selected the GUI or Core installation, you have to read ;) and agree the License Terms and klick "next".   

8.  Now you have to select if you want to upgrade an old installation or if want to install a fresh windows. In my case I want to install a fresh windows server so I selected "Custom"   

9. Now you can selecte your availible Harddisks or VHD (also VHDx). Here the VHD is preconfigured. But no fear, if you want to partition or prepare your HD click on expand options than new and now you can partition and format the disk. It's the same like in Windows Server 2008 / R2, Vista and Windows 7.   

10. Klick "next" and the installtion will beginn. Installation take 20 t0 40 minutes.   

11. After the installation is finished the server reboots and you have to enter the new Administrator password.   

12. Now you get the login screen and you have to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to enter your adminpassword.   

13. Type your passwort and press enter   

14. After this it takes a few minutes for first initialization of the useracount and than you should see the new Servermanager. When this works the installation is finished.