Precision T5600: Usage of SATA 6Gb/s for HDDs

Dell Client

Dell Client
Dells Client Systeme

Precision T5600: Usage of SATA 6Gb/s for HDDs

Diese Frage wurde beantwortet

Dear all,

reading the Dell-Precision-T5600-Spec-Sheet.pdf I wonder why the two 6Gb/s SATA ports are

described as "reserved for optical drive(s)".

Currently I use Optiplex 990 systems (with 2 SATA 6Gb/s ports) with OCZ Vertex3 SSDs, one

for the Windows7 system one for data and really get light-speed booting time and data transfer.

I hoped that with the new Precision generation I could get similar speed on workstation level.

My question: is it technically possible to use the 6Gb ports for HDDs and in particular for booting?

Best regards,

Ralf

Verifizierte Antwort
  • Hi Ralf,

the spec is not complette yet. Many features will be added after launchdate. So I think the spec will be updated after the official launch.

Regards

Flo

Alle Antworten
  • HI Ralf,

the new T5600 also have only 2 6Gb/s Sata ports. Thats related by intel bus technology and CPUs.

It is possible to attach SSDs on this 6GB Ports and you can boot from it, without any issues.

Maybe one questions, were did you find the spec-sheets? There are no official spec-sheets live now.

The T5600 is not live yet.

• Hi Florian,

thank you for the quick response. Yes I know, the Tx600 line is not live yet.

In this blog:

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/direct2dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2012/04/23/new-line-of-dell-precision-workstations.aspx

there are links to the specs (towards the end of the article).

Do you know more about the reasons why those ports are declared as reserved for optical drives

there? Also the sheet says that an add-in controller is required to get 6Gb/s for HDDs.

Looking at the Intel website for the C600 Storage Control Unit there are two 6Gb/s ports, the storage

controller section in the T5600 specs just tells about 3Gb/s slots.

BR,

Ralf

• Hi Ralf,

the spec is not complette yet. Many features will be added after launchdate. So I think the spec will be updated after the official launch.

Regards

Flo

• Great! Thank you very much for your responses!

Ralf