I think all of you might know repadmin /showrepl to Show the current status of your AD replication – it is a good way to see if all DC’s are currently in sync and all AD partitions (Domain Naming, Configuration, Schema, DomainDNS, ForestDNS) are synchronized to all Domain Controlers.

with replmon Microsoft provides an MMC to do almost the same than repadmin. Replmon is part of the Windows Support Tools and can be downloaded from the Microsoft Homepage.

now Microsoft has a new tool: Active Directory Replication Status Tool which you can download here

According to the Microsoft Webpage specific capabilities for this tool include:

• Expose Active Directory replication errors occurring in a domain or forest
  • Prioritize errors that need to be resolved in order to avoid the creation of lingering objects in Active Directory forests
  • Help administrators and support professionals resolve replication errors by linking to Active Directory replication troubleshooting content on Microsoft TechNet
  • Allow replication data to be exported to source or destination domain administrators or support professionals for offline Analysis

I gave it a try and here’s what I found out:

The Installation of the tool was straight forward. Just a click on Setup.

After starting the tool you first get asked whether you want to check the Replication Status for all DC’s in the Forest or only in a specific Domain.

I Selected “Forest” and started the test with “Refresh Replication Status”

On the results page you get a good overview of your Replication Topology, whether you have any errors and also additional information about your DC’s like is it a GC or RODC.

the real new thing there is that you get an indication of the importance of the error by different colors

here I tried to produce some errors by shutting down a few DC’s