In this interview series we will introduce IT Professionals selected for this year’s Dell TechCenter (DTC) Rockstar Program. This program recognizes independent experts, Dell customers and employees for their significant positive impact on Dell TechCenter, blogs and social media when discussing Dell. You can find a list of all our Rockstars here. Our fourth interviewee is Brian Vienneau.

Dell TechCenter: Can you please explain to folks who are not experts in your area: What is your domain of expertise?

Brian Vienneau: I spend most of my time focusing on data center solutions and the majority of that around storage, backup/restore, and virtualization.  If I’m not in the process of designing a new solution, you can find me in the data center implementing them!

Q: What are the most exciting trends in your area?

A: I think there’s going to be shake-up in the storage industry in the next couple years. There are a lot of awesome server-side caching products out there that are moving IO back to the server. Then there are products like Microsoft’s Storage Spaces and VMware’s vSAN that are going to start to interrupt the “traditional array” market as well.

Q: Can you point us to resources you find particularly valuable?

A: The Compellent Knowledge Center is king for all things related to user guides, downloads, CSTA’s, etc.  All of the Best Practice docs and integration guides have been moved over to the Compellent Wiki on Dell TechCenter. I find myself pointing to both of these all the time.  Didier Van Hoye (a fellow Rockstar!) also has a great blog that has a lot of content around using Compellent with Hyper-V (among other things).

Q: How do you engage with the IT community?

A: Day to day on Twitter and in the Dell TechCenter forums. You can also usually find me at Dell User Forum, VMworld, and local VMUGs when I am free. I’m hoping to add Dell World to that list this year!

Q: What are the most cutting edge Dell products – and why?

A: I think many people have been enamored by Dell VRTX. It’s a great box that consolidates server, networking, and storage resources, originally designed for small companies or ROBO, but I’m starting to see it take footholds in areas like point solutions (VDI in a box, etc.) and also isolated development environments to keep work off of a production SAN environment but still have the capabilities of shared storage. 

Q: Brian, thank you so much!