DevOps:
Ansible: Ansible 1.6 adds 30+ new modules
Today we are happy to release Ansible 1.6, which adds over 30+ new core modules to the open source automation system, in addition to incorporating numerous new options, upgrades, fixes, and improvements. Read more.

Chef: Chef Fundamentals Webinar Series
We are launching a free, 6 part, hands-on, weekly webinar training series, May 20th at 10am PDT, guiding you down the learning path for Chef. During our first session, Chef Community Director, Nathen Harvey will provide an overview of Chef and provide insight into nodes, recipes, cookbooks, roles, run lists, and more. Read more.

Docker: Docker 0.11 is the release candidate for 1.0
One of the most-asked questions we’ve been hearing these last couple months is, “When is 1.0 coming?” While not a direct answer, today we’re pleased to announce the immediate availability of Docker 0.11 – the first Release Candidate (RC) for 1.0. From here, we want to continue to get your feedback, focus on quality. Read more.

Vagrant: Vagrant 1.6 released
Vagrant 1.6 is now available! This is a new major release building upon Vagrant 1.5 to add new features to improve workflow, expand Vagrant to support more development environment types, and more. Read more.

OpenStack:
Assaf Muller: Introduction to Neutron
I recently gave an internal Red Hat talk entitled: Introduction to Neutron. It is a high-level, concepts oriented talk. Read more.

Cloudscaling: The 6 Requirements of Enterprise-grade OpenStack, Part 3
In part 1 and part 2 of this series I introduced the core ideas around defining the requirements and then discussed the first four. Today we’ll discuss the final two requirements and tie it all together. Read more.

Dell: Come learn about Open Networking and SDN with Dell Networking at the OpenStack Summit!
Dell Networking will be live in the Dell Booth at the OpenStack Summit May 12-16th in Atlanta and can help you understand OpenStack and Neutron work and how this will impact the future of SDN and networking. We will be showcasing how Dell’s Active Fabric Controller can deliver an automated next generation SDN solution for OpenStack Neutron along with Dell’s Open Networking solutions including Cumulus Linux, Switch Light OS and the Open Compute Project. Read more.

eNovance: Why you should benchmark your Cloud infrastructure before getting into production
When speaking about cloud infrastructures, many think about the amount of servers, storage or number of virtual machines to be used. More than the quantity of hardware you select, the efficiency of your global solution is the key to get a powerful platform. This first article will be about defining why you should understand, check and diagnose the performance of the selected hardware. Read more.

ICCLab: Manage instance startup order in OpenStack Heat Templates
In many applications it is necessary to create virtual resources in a certain order. As an orchestration engine, Heat is able to support such a requirement, but how it is actually done in a template can be tricky. Recently I had to write such a Heat template, which seemed pretty easy as there is a number of examples on the OpenStack/heat-templates github. Read more.

Liz Blanchard: An explosion of User Experience discussions at the OpenStack Juno Summit
Next week OpenStackers will be getting together in person for the Juno Summit in Atlanta to plan out what exactly we think is important to deliver in the Juno release of OpenStack. I’m extremely happy to say that there are a number of sessions that are focused on talking through use cases, users, and User Experience efforts within OpenStack. I wanted to take some time to introduce the sessions that I plan to participate in with respect to UX and I hope to see any of you who are interested join me! Read more.

Loic Dachary: Non profit OpenStack & Ceph cluster distributed over five datacenters
A few non profit organizations (April, FSF France, tetaneutral.net…) and volunteers constantly research how to get compute, storage and bandwidth that are: 100% Free Software, Content neutral, Low maintenance, Reliable and Cheap. The latest setup, in use since ocbober 2013, is based on a Ceph and OpenStack cluster spread over five datacenters. Read more.

Openstack.com: Deploying OpenStack made easy with Puppet
When it comes to managing infrastructure deployments of a certain size, even a ninja sysadmin can't do it all without some help. In fact, one might argue that knowing when and how to use IT automation tools for managing infrastructure is a prerequisite to getting your admin blackbelt. Enter Puppet. Read more.

Rackspace: Icehouse: The Enterprise-Grade OpenStack Release
In April, the OpenStack Foundation released Icehouse, the ninth release of the OpenStack cloud platform. The general consensus seems to be that while Icehouse has some compelling new features, the focus of this version of OpenStack is on enterprise-grade readiness. Vendors like Rackspace and users with strong engineering talent have been very successful in creating enterprise-grade clouds using earlier OpenStack releases, but there has been a concerted focus by the community to stabilize the code and to enhance the operational capabilities of the platform. As a result, more vendors and partners in the ecosystem are now able to deliver OpenStack-powered products and services that can satisfy the stringent infrastructure requirements of enterprise shops. Read more.

Ramon Acedo: Multiple Private Networks with Open vSwitch GRE Tunnels and Libvirt
GRE tunnels are extremely useful for many reasons. One use case is to be able to design and test an infrastructure requiring multiple networks on a typical home lab with limited hardware, such as laptops and desktops with only 1 ethernet card. As an example, to design an OpenStack infrastructure for a production environment with RDO or Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform (RHEL OSP) three separate networks are recommended.Read more.

Sean Dague: OpenStack Summit Preview: Elastic Recheck
With OpenStack summit only a few days away, I’ve been preparing materials for my Elastic Recheck talk. Elastic Recheck is a system that we built over the last 7 months to help us data mine failures in test results in the OpenStack test system to find patterns. Read more.

ZeroBanana: OpenStack Orchestration and Configuration Management
At the last OpenStack Summit in Hong Kong, I had a chance meeting in the hallway with a prominent Open Source developer, who mentioned that he would only be interested in Heat once it could replace Puppet. I was slightly shocked by that, because it is the stated goal of the Heat team not to compete with configuration management tools—on the principle that a good cloud platform will not dictate which configuration management tool you use, and nor will a good configuration management tool dictate which cloud platform you use. Clearly some better communication of our aims is required. Read more.