Dell Data Protection - Dell ControlVault - Recovering hard disk with self encription

Laptops - Allgemeine Hardware

Laptops - Allgemeine Hardware
Diskutieren Sie mit uns über Dell Laptops

Dell Data Protection - Dell ControlVault - Recovering hard disk with self encription

This question is not answered
DELL-E6530.pdf

I am using a Dell Notebook Latitude E6530 with a Samsung SSD 850 Pro and Windows 10 Professional. For security reasons the self encryption mode of the Samsung SSD was used (password for SSD access was set and a menue entry within the Dell Bios was available for the HDD Password). Additionally the Admin Password and System Password was set in the Dell Bios. Therefore only the Admin Password was necessary to pass the pre-boot-authentication process before the Windows login.

Now i wanted to upgrade the Dell Bios from Version A18 to A20. Because the update program asked for a password and neither the system nor the admin password worked, i reseted / deleted all passwords in the Dell Bios (for admin and system, and thereby also the HDD password i assume). After reeboot the Dell DDP Software (which i installed months before but wasn’t really active in the past, i assume because of the existing security settings in the Bios ) forced me to safe a „OpalSPKey.<COMPUTER-NAME>.recovery.dat“ file in a DELL-SEC directory on an USB medium.

After the next reeboot the hard disk was not accessible anymore. The error message displayed is „No bootable devices—strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics“.

Some screenshots from the Samsung Magican Software show the actual status of the drive. It seems that the security mode switched from Class0 (with password) to TCG Opal. Also an Secure Erase is not possible anymore for the drive. No volumes are visible on the drive and no changes to the partitioning table are possible at all.

If anybody could help me how to access the drive once more (the former password of the drive is available and also the OpalSPKey… file), that would be great. Thanks for reading until here …

All Replies
  • Hi,

please try the Erase in DOS mode:

So create a bootable USB Stick to run Secure Erase.

If there are any issues with the DOS MODE: I found a guide to Fix IT when DOS Mode Faiiled: