Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 9th, 2024 15:33

S3124 sfp+ ports

Can I use the SFP+ ports 25 and 26 on a S3124 switch to connect an ME5 iSCSI storage using DAC cables?

• 

8.5K Posts

May 9th, 2024 20:19

Javiereyes9fc6f8,

This is primarily a 1gb switch with 24x1gb ports and then it has the two SFP+ ports that would be 10gb. Two things that come to mind is: If you plug the ME5 storage into the limited uplink ports then your initiators(servers) are probably going to have to use the remaining gigabit ports so at that point you're not getting the needed performance anyway. Almost every time I see someone use gigabit for iscsi these days they end up getting off of it and onto 10gb or 25gb asap due to performance. Second point is that in the past where I have seen people try something like this to feed many 1gb hosts to the 10gb uplinks we end up finding that since the switch is primarily meant for 1gb then its internals and specs are more appropriately sized for 1gb traffic so the buffers and such are not able to keep up and we see performance problems.  Usually you will want a switch that is intended to primarily handle 10gb or 25gb traffic. 

Let me know if this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 10th, 2024 20:14

@DELL-Chris H​ Thank you for the explanation!

No Events found!