J

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

May 9th, 2024 16:15

G15 5515 Screen Black after BIOS Updated to 1.18

Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition

Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition

Updated the BIOS for my G15 5515 from 1.16 to 1.18 today and immediately after the update the screen went black and won't turn on. The laptop works and I can use an external monitor but still can't believe that Dell pushed a BIOS update that bricked my screen. Seems to be a common occurance. I have tried to boot into BIOS Recovery mode but am not having any luck. Any other suggestions?

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 10th, 2024 13:25

I have the same problem, did you solve it? 

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

May 10th, 2024 14:04

@Ahmadmowafk​ I have not solved the problem. If you look on Reddit (search for the thread "BIOS broke my laptop" as well as "Updated Dell G15 5515 Ryzen, now only screen black" and you will see that this is a common occurance with this laptop and any BIOS updates. However, after contacting Dell Support, they continue to say that the issue is not with their BIOS updates, even after I point them to all the threads on here as well as Reddit.

My one suggestion would be to create a support ticket with Dell so that this can get on their radar. It seems like it will only be fixed once enough people complain.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

May 11th, 2024 12:30

@JFH2​ no contact yet ? I tried a lot🤦🏻‍♂️

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

May 11th, 2024 18:05

@Ahmadmowafk​ Still no updates from Dell. 

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

May 12th, 2024 11:10

@JFH2​ please reply here if you got any solution 

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

May 12th, 2024 11:14

Same laptop, same problem: my display was gone as soon as the BIOS update from 1.16 to 1.18 was complete. LED is blinking 2 amber 7 white, SupportAssist shows PCI failure and Video failure.

I can only use the laptop plugged on an external display and cannot access BIOS settings or BIOS recovery since those only display on the laptop screen (which is now dead).

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

May 12th, 2024 22:11

@mbneto​ exactly the same thing that happened to me. Have you reached out to Dell support? Still can't believe that they tried to tell me the issue wasn't caused by the BIOS update. 

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

May 13th, 2024 01:13

@JFH2​ since my warranty has long expired, I need to wait until Monday before being able to contact support during business hours. I'm not holding my breath for the phone support rep to be helpful. Meanwhile, here are some things I tried, none of which worked:

• Tried going back to firmware 1.16.0 using the installer:
    • It says I'm not allowed to downgrade and won't do anything.
  • Tried to clear the BIOS settings/RTC to factory defaults by unplugging the battery, then holding the power button down for 60 seconds: 
    • Settings seem to have been cleared (clock was reset, and I had to fumble with the keyboard to get it to proceed into Windows), but display is still dead.
  • Tried to clear the BIOS settings/RTC to factory defaults by turning the laptop off and then holding power for 30 seconds until the power LED blinked three times:
    • Same result as the battery unplug method.
  • Tried entering BIOS recovery by all different methods I found online (plug AC while holding down CTRL+ESC or FN+CTRL+ESC, or tap the power button while holding the same keys), but in all attempts either nothing happened or the PC just booted into Windows as usual:
    • Just plugging the AC does nothing, no matter which keys I held or for how long.
    • Tapping the power button while holding the keys just proceeds into Windows.
  • Tried running the 1.18.0 installer again:
    • The install seems to have gone normally (PC rebooted, fans went into max speed for a minute or so, then rebooted into windows), but the display and was off and the power LED was blinking 2-7 during the entire process, until I was back to Windows on my external display.

BTW, if I go into device manager the AMD Radeon(TM Graphics) device has a warning sign, stating something along the lines of "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Code 43".

I suspect the BIOS update did something to the AMD iGPU either at the firmware level or UEFI level that broke compatibility.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

May 13th, 2024 03:34

@mbneto​ I have done the exact same things as you with the exact same results. I had to laugh when Dell support just told me to downgrade to 1.16 but when I try, I get the same message that it is not allowed to revert back to previous BIOS version. 

Please let me know if you have any luck with Dell Support on Monday. Interested to see what they say to you since now this is clearly not a one off issue. It is obviously happening to several users. 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 13th, 2024 13:21

On these out of warranty G15 5515, was the BIOS update done via which letter below?

A. You manually chose to download and install the BIOS update
B. SupportAssist prompted you to install the BIOS update
C. Dell Update prompted you to install the BIOS update

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

May 13th, 2024 13:46

@DELL-Chris M​ From Dell Update 

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

May 13th, 2024 13:47

@DELL-Chris M​ I hope someone helps us. I’m so confused. I’m not able to work or do anything.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 13th, 2024 13:53

@Ahmad Mowafk​ I do not see that you have contacted Get Help Now agent and provided the Service Tag?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 13th, 2024 14:09

* Turn the G15 5515 AMD off
* Connect the AC power adapter to the G15 5515 AMD
* Press and hold in the power button for 25 seconds to RTC reset. Note; if the Laptop LCD screen does not appear after RTC reset, you will need to connect an external monitor to the rear USB-C/DP or HDMI out port
* Let go of the power button
* Press the power button to start up
* Tap the F2 key boot to BIOS setup menu
* In Boot Configuration--> Security, Enable "Enable Microsoft UEFI CA"

* Press F10 to Save changes

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

May 13th, 2024 14:58

@DELL-Chris M​ I updated the the BIOS via SupportAssist.

Also, I tried the steps you listed above but as @mbneto mentioned in his post, the screen is black and remains black after tapping f2 during startup. I am assuming that my laptop boots into BIOS setup but since my screen is black, I can't see what I am doing to make the changes you suggested above.

(edited)

No Events found!